PET TRANSPORT TO SOUTH AFRICA: HOW IS THIS DONE?
Taking your pet to South Africa requires some advance planning. You will need to start the exportation process of your favourite pet more than a month before the departure date.
- Your pet has to travel as AIR FREIGHT, also called CARGO, (your pet will not be linked to your air ticket if you’re travelling on the same flight).
- Your pet must have a “pet passport” issued in their name (drafted by your vet)
- You will need to obtain an import permit to enable you to book a place on the flight for your pet. This can be applied for from the relevant South African authority, the “Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries“. You will receive the permit a few weeks after requesting it.
We can take care of this for you, depending on the package you choose.
VETERINARY PROTOCOL AND ADMINISTRATIVE STEPS ABOUT PET TRANSPORT TO SOUTH AFRICA
To ensure that your dogs, cats or other furry friends meet the requirements for importation into South Africa, they will need:
- To be identifiable through microchip (identification through a tattoo is not regulatory in South Africa)
- The rabies vaccination (anti-rabies) is compulsory, so your pet will need to have their booster more than 30 days prior to the date of departure, but within the last year.
- Your pet must have received an anti-parasite treatment – both internal and external – within ten days prior to its departure (simple, quick treatment)
- Your vet should be able to draft a health certificate specific to South Africa for you, within ten days prior to departure.
This document must also be certified and stamped by the DDPP Department in your region
Dogs must have been tested for the following diseases, within 30 days prior to departure (you need to allow for a period in which to receive the results which can vary between a few days to two weeks!)
- Brucella Canis
- Trypanosoma Evansi
- Babesia Gibsoni
- Dirofilaria Immitis
After all these document-related and veterinary requirements have been met, your pet will finally be able to travel to South Africa, with no hassles. You will finally meet up with them again, in their new home!
The link below will direct you to the DAFF website which contains a wealth of information about the importation procedures of your pet to South Africa.
For the maximum comfort of your pet, we can take care of all, or some of these steps for you. Contact us, we’re here to help you!