MOVING PETS TO AUSTRALIA: HOW IS THIS DONE?
Taking your dog, cat or another pet to Australia can prove to be mind-boggling if certain recommendations are not correctly followed.
This is why below you will find some advice needed to arrange the transportation of your pets to Australia.
By choosing the PREMIUM package, we can take care of all, or some of these steps for you.
The minimum time period between the start of formalities to be carried out and your pet’s trip is at least six months.
VETERINARY PROTOCOL AND ADMINISTRATIVE STEPS ABOUT PET TRANSPORT TO AUSTRALIA
The importation of your pet to Australia is subject to:
- The implantation of a microchip (tattoos are not permitted in Australia!)
- Rabies titration dating to less than two years, but more than six months prior to the transportation date.
- The obtaining of an animal import permit, together with a document called a Veterinary Certificate for Cats (Appendix A) or a Veterinary Certificate for Dogs (Appendix A),
- This Veterinary Certificate must be filled in by your vet as part of the vaccination protocol
- Booking of a quarantine period. And yes, your furry friend will need to stay in quarantine for approximately ten days before making the most of the well-deserved cuddles they’ll be getting when you meet again.
- A vaccination protocol:
- Bordetella Bronchiseptica
The three last vaccinations must be tested within 45 days prior to departure for Australia.
- Feline Enteritis
- Feline Rhinotracheitis
- Feline Calicivirus
- Two anti-parasite treatments, both internal and external (the dates are to be carefully adhered to)
Then it will finally be time to make the most of your new home, with the stroking, little tickles and big cuddles that go along with it!!
Don’t forget that all the documents must be certified by the DDPP Department.
No stamp, no departure! And where are the cuddles then?
Australia’s importation rules differ depending on the category of domestic animal concerned – they are not the same for birds, reptiles and rodents, for example… Contact us!
The link below will direct you to the DAFF website. This will allow you to easily draft a schedule for your pet’s trip, and determine the transportation date of your dog, cat or another pet by aeroplane.
All the procedures to be followed are listed there. If you prefer, we are able to take care of all, or a part of these procedures for you.
As mentioned previously, your pet will need to remain in quarantine for around ten days upon their arrival in Australia.
At present, there are just one quarantine facility located in Melbourne.
Quarantine in Melbourne
135 Donnybrook Road Mickleham VIC 3064, enter from Polaris Road
Tel: 1800 900 090 or +61 3 8318 6700
Fax: +61 3 9391 0860